Dominic Burkhalter, education, training and influences….
- Born 21st March 1959
- Southampton University – studied Politics and International Relations
- Bournemouth College of Art – Foundation Course
- Slade School of Art (1979 – 1983)
- Goldsmith College – PGCE
- Portrait shown at National Portrait Gallery Exhibition 1984
- Exhibited at Christopher Hull Gallery 1985
- Computer graphics and software development 1987 to current
- Landscape painting from March 2015 to current
- Developed commercial Red Pom Pom print site to sell prints: https://redpompom.co.uk
Dom’s painting influences include both his parents and tutors at Art School that were Keith Mickelwright at the Bournemouth College of Art and Patrick George and Euan Uglow at the Slade School of Art in the 1980s.
The English tradition of landscape of painting of Turner to Patrick George has held the strongest technical influence over Dom’s work, with the English and Swiss mixture of understated and accurate drawing holding the greatest sway.
Growing up in the Dorset countryside in the 1970s can but not have had a strong influence, that and the novels of Thomas Hardy seep in to the unconscious and are there for good like it or not!….with the local town being Lyme Regis in the 1970s Dom worked for John Fowels the author in the local museum and was there to see the filming of the French Lieutenants Woman along the Cobb. Film is another great love and influence on Dom’s work.
Dom’s father was a Swiss tour guide who had the travel bug which was passed on to him. He has travelled widely and the landscapes painted will reflect his favourite parts of the world.
For twenty-five years Dom has worked in the digital area, from the early days of a web sites and CD-ROMs to the current world of apps and mobile technology. He’s now returning to the world of painting and giving the world of Photoshop and project plans a break.
Dom has three grown up children and he lives with his wife Claire in Kent, England.
He can be contacted via email email@example.com or mobile: UK (0)7464 962 318